The following comes from Jim Afremow as a contributing editor for The Sporting News. He also has wrote an outstanding book The Champion's Mind: How Great Athletes Think, Train, and Thrive." Follow him on Twitter @goldmedalmind.
1. Champions know that vague goals lead to vague results. They know exactly what they want to accomplish and think of each day a golden opportunity to chip away at their big-picture goal.
2. Champions don't care what the obstacles are because they love to battle and get back on top again. Tough times make them even tougher!
3. Champions always play to the max, whether in practice or games. They go out and ball out with their best attitude and a complete effort.
4. Champions learn to make every play (or shot, etc.) count. They relish the poor ones as much as the powerful ones.
5. Champions keep their attitude and work ethic constant throughout the ups and downs that are part of every season. They never let up or give up.
6. Champions understand that the better they get, the harder they need to work. A true champion never thinks in terms of, "Well, I've got it made."
7. Champions take as much pleasure in the journey as the destination, the process as much as the product.