Tuesday, January 3, 2012

WHAT ARE YOU WILLING TO DO TO HELP YOUR TEAM SUCCEED?

The following comes from the book “The Gold Standard” written by Coach Mike Krzyzewski in which he shares his thoughts and stories about the 2008 Gold-Medal Olympic Basketball Team.

“Having players have a defensive DNA and desire goes without saying. I am ready to learn and excited to be coached by one of the best and looking forward to the thrill of a new challenge and the job of a new kill.”

“Coach, can you do me a favor?” Kobe Bryant said. “And what’s that?” I responded. “I want you to let me guard the best player on every team we face. And I promise that I will destroy him” Kobe said.

Here was possibly the greatest offensive player in the game asking me for the opportunity to play defense at the highest level. It was also his way of telling me that he was willing to adapt to help make us the best team we could become.”