Saturday, July 16, 2011

EVEN THE GREAT ONES KNOW HOW TO ACCEPT THEIR ROLE

During my recent recruiting trip, I have enjoyed reading Tim Tebow's book and really believe it would be a great book for athletes to read -- especially those that are very gifted.  Tim shows throughout the book the importance of being and staying grounded through a variety of obstacles. 

Early this week I tweeted that it isn't always about the accomplishments but about the hurdles you overcome during the accomplishments.  Tim is a great example of handling a variety of speed bumps in maximizing his potential.

For instance, coming out of high school, he was one of the nation's most recruited athletes -- to the point that ESPN did a documentary on him in high school.  Many athletes is this light would expect to start as a freshman and some would pout if they didn't.  But Tim Tebow understand what was important for the team as he writes:

"For me, more important than winning the quarterback job was earning some playing time, being part of the team, building the trust of the coaches and my teammates, and being able to contribute.  That's what I took so much pride in and what I wanted to accomplish.  I hoped to carve out a role for myself that contributed to the good of the team in every game."

From "Through My Eyes" by Tim Tebow