Friday, November 12, 2010

THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM

“When you’re in the locker room before the game starts, and you’re sitting there and there’s still silence, almost like a silence sweeping over the locker room. You don’t know what it is. You can look in the eyes of your teammates. Sometimes you get to see the other team. A lot of times I look in their eyes. You can see fear. You can see excitement. You can see nervousness. It’s that before-the-game moment. In my mind, it’s like everything is silent. It’s like another realm, another world. It’s like, ‘This is it, it’s all on the line.’ For me, every game, it’s all on the line. Just that little moment, knowing it’s all on the line, right now, there’s no second chance on this game, there’s no getting a player over, that’s something that excites me. I love to see other players, especially defenders, if they’re nervous. Yeah, that gets me excited.”

-Former All-Pro running back Curtis Martin