Saturday, October 10, 2009

FINDING THE LOVE OF THE GAME FROM KIDS

“Everyday when I drive home to my house, there is a basketball court there, and sometimes I’ll just pull over and see how the kids are playing the game. It brings back memories of me out there. Having a dream of one day I’ll be able to play in the NBA and going up against the world champions or something like that. For me to pull up and see those kids still having that dream and still doing the things that I did when I was young … that brings back the memories of my childhood. I see a couple jerseys (with my name and number). That’s the ultimate prize, I can recall growing up in the Michael Jordan jersey. To see little kids wearing my jersey. I don’t let them see me, I creep up and just look at their reactions. Kids really care about the game. You can tell; they are out there yelling. ‘This is Michael Jordan doing this and doing that.’ I can recall I used to do that also. In the backyard I was Scottie Pippen 24/7. I was doing it all. Just to creep up and not be noticed and to see the kids and the love and passion they have for the game of basketball, it reminds me of who I am right now. I’m 24, but in the heart I’m still a kid and still love the game. I still love going up against guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett, who I admire.”

-Antawn Jamison